Monday, March 03, 2014

Bringing the Writing Senses to Life in my Novel: Linguine Liparese



When I wrote my novel 'Beneath a Sicilian Sun', my intention was to evoke all the senses, to really bring them to the surface, so the reader got a flavour of Sicilian life. So the country's wine and food became a big part of the novel for me.

My Sicilian friend Salvatore, who helped me with research for this book, [yes I always undertake some research, even if it's a contemporary romance], told me about this recipe.  Though he would use fresh red tuna instead of canned.  Sicilian red tuna is considered the best in the world and exported to Japan who apparently can it and sell it back to the country that sold it to them in the first place!  In one section of the story, there is a scene in a restaurant on the island of Lipari, where this dish is chosen and after that, things begin to steam up between the main characters, Dante and Joanne...

Linguine Liparese

Ingredients:
  • 320 g linguine
  • 100 g of tuna in oil 
  • 80 g black olives
  • 40 g capers
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 sprig of parsley
  • 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
Instructions:
Cook the linguine until it is al dente. Meanwhile, fry the following ingredients in a pan of  oil: crushed garlic, capers, olives, pitted and cut into pieces. Add a little 'water from the pasta, chopped parsley, a pinch of pepper, chopped tuna and mix. Drain the pasta, put it in a bowl and dress with the sauce.

No comments: