Sunday, May 15, 2005

A Warm Welcome...

I don't know about you, but I think there are times when first impressions definitely count. This evening was one such occasion.

My mother asked me to attend a church service at a church I had never been to before. There was going to be a party afterwards for some congregation members, a husband and wife, who were returning to the U.S after living in Wales for the past two years.
The church in question, definitely had a warm feel to it. People welcomed us with open arms and were so easy to talk to.

I've attended churches in the past were guests were made to feel like spare parts. Where no one acknowledges you, it's as if you are invisible. But not at Jerusalem Church in Pentrebach. Everyone I spoke to was lovely.
I sat next to an elderly lady in a wheelchair called, Laura, what a tonic she was! Not a word of complaint about her disability, just a joke from her that did we know of any shops that sold a new pair of legs!

She went on to tell me in the after service party, that although she was disabled, she went out several times a week as she enjoyed meeting people, she only spent an evening or two at home. I told her she had a better social life than I had!
If only more of us had that lady's view on life, nothing was going to get in her way. She told me she managed at home with her Zimmer frame and seemed as though she was making the absolute best of her life.

People like Laura are an inspiration to the rest of us

No comments: